Prior to the establishment of the East Orchard Mesa Fire Department all fire services were provided by the Palisade Fire Department. In 1948 the Talbott's Orchard packing shed caught fire, unfortunately the shed was a total loss due to the steepness of the 38 Rd. hill Palisade Fire's engine could not make it to the fire. After the incident occurred, several farmers from the area got together and formed a fire department. Using their Orchard spraying machines as their fire supression units and communication system that was wired from home to home of the volunteers in order to alert them in the time of emergency.
Over time our department grew and our first fire apparatus was purchased and stored in a one vehicle garage. As the years went on the department purchased a second apparatus prompting the need for more room.
Due to continued departmental growth and the donation and purchase of apparatus, we now have a four bay station with crew/training quarters and upper floor storage.
Today we are seventeen members strong and we continue to grow. We are building a wildland program and have a membership that is attending more technical training courses in order to provide the best service to our community and those around us.
Additionally we participate in local safety fairs and public education, helping spread the word of safety to all.